Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Flowers & Gardens
Skookum
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 01:00 PM

~*~
Group: Admin

QUOTE (Kamalam @ Jul 1 2018, 10:18 PM)

Just ate a bunch of the Ranier cherries this weekend! They weren't as sweet as I was hoping (Costco), but still very good.

Well SHOOT! I'm sorry the ones you got were not very sweet. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/dry.gif
We have the luxury of buying them from a local small-time grower down the road. They are not as big as they have been in the past, but still taste REALLY great!
I did not even stop to look at them the last time I was in Costco, but did notice in their recent e-bulletin that they had Raniers for $3.50 a pound.........Reds for $3.00.
At the local fruit stand the Raniers were selling for $3.30 a pound; so at least the price you paid was pretty close to local price. https://s20.postimg.cc/pr0u9btgd/th-up.gif
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 02:02 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (Skookum @ Jul 1 2018, 06:25 PM)
Get to the market, though; the fresh Ranier cherries are in, but probably won't last long!
Is that where these cherries come from? I grabbed a couple of pounds when I went shopping last Friday or Saturday. Man I love it when they come in. Some are sweet and some are a bit more tart, but they are yummy! $2.98/lb. Sure hope they have more when I go back in a day or two.
PM
^
Skookum
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 04:00 PM

~*~

QUOTE (Navi @ Jul 2 2018, 11:02 AM)
Get to the market, though; the fresh Ranier cherries are in, but probably won't last long!
Is that where these cherries come from? I grabbed a couple of pounds when I went shopping last Friday or Saturday. Man I love it when they come in. Some are sweet and some are a bit more tart, but they are yummy! $2.98/lb. Sure hope they have more when I go back in a day or two.

The BEST ones come from Washington! //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif
Maybe their origin is somewhere on the package? I think some cherries are also commercially grown in California & Oregon.
PM
^
Shecoda
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 10:49 PM

Advanced Member

The cherries haven't been really good this year.
PM
^
Skookum
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 10:57 PM

~*~

QUOTE (Shecoda @ Jul 2 2018, 07:49 PM)
The cherries haven't been really good this year.

Sorry that you & Kam both have had sour cherries this year. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/dry.gif That's really not good since they're a premium-priced treat. I've had sour Bings, but never Raniers; they seem smaller this year, but still taste good.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I think those yuccas are in full bloom now; if not, they're real close. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jul 5 2018, 12:30 AM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (Skookum @ Jul 2 2018, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Navi @ Jul 2 2018, 11:02 AM)

The BEST ones come from Washington! //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif
Maybe their origin is somewhere on the package? I think some cherries are also commercially grown in California & Oregon.
Bag says only 'Product of USA'.
I just checked the store website. Seems they source Ranier cherries and Hood River cherries. From the pictures of the cherries I would say these are the Hood River. I can't recall ever seeing what appear to be Ranier cherries in my little local store. I will check the next time I go to the big store.
PM
^
Skookum
 Posted: Jul 5 2018, 02:43 PM

~*~

Looks like Ranier is one of three "yellow sweet cherry" varieties; I've never heard of the other two: Early Robin and Stardust. (click "yellow" at bottom of the page)

I think Hood River (Oregon) would be the brand name, or name of the grower, or area the produce comes from.

user posted image
Here, "Stemilt" would be the company (in Wenatchee, WA.) whose contracted orchardists grew the cherries; "Bing" would be the variety of cherry.
PM
^
Kamalam
 Posted: Jul 5 2018, 09:21 PM

Advanced Boop

Well, Sky and I have been downing the Ranier cherries. Just bought another batch from TJ's. Those were a little sweeter than Costco but the package was a lot smaller (of course).

I'd love to try some of the other yellow cherries in your link. Stardust?! Yummm. But hey, the Ranier are just dandy. Might need to make another Costco run tomorrow!

P.S. Those yuccas are just glorious!!
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Photography | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll