Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Recipes, Slow cooker, Instant Pot, any recipes
Skookum
 Posted: Jun 25 2018, 01:08 PM

~*~
Group: Admin

Kicking around whether or not to sautè the onions; I never have with common, traditional enchiladas, but with this I'm thinking maybe so. ??
Yes, more green chilies..... //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/cool.gif
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 25 2018, 04:44 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (Skookum @ Jun 25 2018, 12:08 PM)
Kicking around whether or not to sautè the onions; I never have with common, traditional enchiladas, but with this I'm thinking maybe so.  ??
Yes, more green chilies..... //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/cool.gif
I was looking at recipes for enchiladas suisse or suizas to get additional ideas for making mushroom enchiladas. I think the Green Chile Enchilada recipe is derived from the suizas recipes. I saw several that called for onion, cumin, and other additional spices and ingredients. Can't use cilantro-son is one of those with no cilantro gene. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif I love cilantro. He also says he doesn't like cumin, but I can usually get away with adding a smidgen. I think I even saw garlic in a couple? Feeling very creative about this recipe now. Also considering using some of the Mexican cheeses rather than the Monterey Jack.
Mushroom next and fish to follow.
PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 26 2018, 09:51 PM

This place sure is fancy, Puddin!
Group: Members

QUOTE (Navi @ Jun 24 2018, 04:18 PM)
Made this for supper tonight. Subbed arrowroot for the flour in the roux. Will try to get a pic after it gets out of the oven.

Green Chile or White Chicken Enchiladas
I have been looking for this recipe for the past 20 years!!!! Finally found it!!!! *These are seriously so so good*

10 soft taco shells
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt.
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies (these are not hot)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

I'm trying this recipe tonight except with red style enchi sauce and a mix of cheeses on top, Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar. I did use just Jack inside the enchiladas though. Serving with tots (optional rip off Taco Johns Potato Ole seasoning and taco sauce for dipping) and corn.

Update:

Well it was good, nice creamy texture. The chicken was a bit bland though. Needs some kind of seasoning on it since there's no enchi sauce on the inside. Maybe some cayenne pepper or something.
PMEmail
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 04:31 AM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 26 2018, 08:51 PM)

I'm trying this recipe tonight except with red style enchi sauce and a mix of cheeses on top, Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar. I did use just Jack inside the enchiladas though. Serving with tots (optional rip off Taco Johns Potato Ole seasoning and taco sauce for dipping) and corn.

Update:

Well it was good, nice creamy texture. The chicken was a bit bland though. Needs some kind of seasoning on it since there's no enchi sauce on the inside. Maybe some cayenne pepper or something.
Good for you! Sounds delish! https://s20.postimg.cc/9iyuok0l9/drool.gif

I was thinking about adding some cumin and other spices to the filling. My fav combo right now is a pinch of cumin, a couple of pinches of ancho powder and a dash or two of cayenne or chipotle powder. Smokey chipotle and smoked paprika are good too. And of course there is always the old standby chili powder.
Also I didn't this time, but normally I put a ladle full of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking pan and spread it around. Then I dip the tortillas in the enchilada sauce, add the filling and roll up. I will probably make the mushroom enchiladas this weekend.

Can fish tacos and enchiladas be far behind? //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif
PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Navi @ Jun 27 2018, 03:31 AM)
QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 26 2018, 08:51 PM)

Update:

Good for you! Sounds delish! https://s20.postimg.cc/9iyuok0l9/drool.gif

I was thinking about adding some cumin and other spices to the filling. My fav combo right now is a pinch of cumin, a couple of pinches of ancho powder and a dash or two of cayenne or chipotle powder. Smokey chipotle and smoked paprika are good too. And of course there is always the old standby chili powder.
Also I didn't this time, but normally I put a ladle full of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking pan and spread it around. Then I dip the tortillas in the enchilada sauce, add the filling and roll up. I will probably make the mushroom enchiladas this weekend.

Can fish tacos and enchiladas be far behind? //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Yeah I usually dip the tortillas in the enchi sauce as well. I liked it better this way from a prep perspective though because it wasn't messy. I also wouldn't mix the chicken and the cheese in a bowl next time because I lost some cheese in the bowl due to it sticking to the bowl. I think it would have worked just as well sprinkling it on the spot. I found the Monterey Jack cheese created a unique texture though so I might use that more in the future instead of just mild cheddar.

We got some cheese curds on sale a little while ago so those have become a part of my regular diet. It's too much work to deep fry them but they are good right out of the bag or melted in the micro. I've tried them on pizza and a ham sandwich so far. Not bad but they are best by themselves. They seem to get covered up easily by other flavors.
PMEmail
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 09:56 AM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 27 2018, 05:29 AM)
We got some cheese curds on sale a little while ago so those have become a part of my regular diet. It's too much work to deep fry them but they are good right out of the bag or melted in the micro. I've tried them on pizza and a ham sandwich so far. Not bad but they are best by themselves. They seem to get covered up easily by other flavors.
Guess that's where an air fryer would come in handy.
Have you ever made poutine?
PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 08:03 PM

I haven't but am tempted. I'm not sure an air fryer would work that well. It would be a wet batter, and you can only fry them at a very high temp for a short period of time, a couple minutes, otherwise the cheese leaks out. You also have to freeze the curds before you batter them so the cheese doesn't melt as fast. Overall it's just too messy and smelly no matter how you do it. I really enjoy fried cheese curds but I want somebody else to make them. Haha.
PMEmail
^
Shecoda
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 10:52 PM

Advanced Member

I found this recipe when I was looking for something to do with leftover pot roast.

I love it as a raw meat marinade as well.

Any cut of beef will do as Carne Asada meat is always chopped into tiny pieces.

I usually use flank steak or skirt steak, and sometimes, leftover pot roast.

CARNE ASADA BURRITOS

Ingredients:

Leftover roast, rested at least 24 hours in the fridge (we assume 1 pound here, adjust spices accordingly for more/less) or meat of choice

2 cloves garlic

1-2 jalapeno peppers

One bundle fresh cilantro (roughly a half cup, loosely packed)

The juice of two limes

The juice of one orange*

3 TBS olive oil

Fresh black peppercorns

Salt

Soft tortillas, flour or corn

OPTIONAL:
Avocados, onion, sour cream and salsa/pico de gallo for topping the tacos.

QUICK NOTE: I chop the meat up into little pieces and then pour the whole marinade over it. Since I make a lot of two-night dinners, I only cook up what I need for a night

If using leftover roast: prepare everything including chopped cilantro, except the tortillas and the optional stuff, and whisk together in a bowl Pour over leftover roast, stir well, allow to sit out until the meat reaches room temperature.

Dump the meat mixture into a pan, cook down on medium-high heat until little liquid is left, put on prepared tortillas and enjoy.

If using fresh meat, follow the instructions above except marinate the cut pieces in the fridge for up to 24 hours. You can go longer than 24 if everything is fresh, but still should be consumed or fozen within 48 or so hours. I don't find a noticeable difference in taste after 24 hours.

*Here is an easy suggestion for Orange juice in anything if fresh isn't available. When a recipe calls for a cup of orange juice or a small amount, keep a can of frozen OJ in the freezer and only make up what you need. If you store it well, the open can will be good for at least three months and probably longer.

Remeber to shake out the seeds and remove the ribs of the jalapeno pepper unless more heat is preferred.
PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 30 2018, 08:56 PM

Since we have an abundance of cheese curds at the moment, (four 12 ounce bags), I decided to try a baked cheese curd recipe. I havled the recipie and almost got 10 ounces out of it which is what the full recipe stated it made. Pretty much a full bag. I did a little more egg wash and freshened up my bread crumbs to get some more done though since my flour was still good. I have 41 curds in the freezer now. I will bake some after they set up but I don't see why they couldn't be fried also. The real key is the double breading and freezing so the cheese doesn't leak. They breaded up really well. Flour into the egg wash and then the crumbs, then back in the egg wash and crumbs. I used regular Italian bread crumbs not panko.

Just need some marinara sauce now. Anybody have a good recipe that doesn't call for a can of tomatoes? Maybe tomato sauce and/or paste?

Oh, here's the curd recipe:

Baked Wisconisn Cheese Curds

Here's another recipe from the same poster. This one's for homemade cream of "insert thing here" condensed soup. Haven't tried it yet but it looks good. Probably way better than the canned stuff so it could make dishes that call for cream of soups better, like stroganoff.

Condensed Cream "Of" Soup
PMEmail
^
Shecoda
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 10:46 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 21 2018, 11:58 PM)
Jalapeno butter? Well I have butter and jalapenos..........................

Just need a strainer I guess.

Here is how to make jalapeno butter.

Melt your butter. If you have nacho rings in the fridge (I always do) take some of the liquid from the jar and add it to your butter. You'll have to experiment to get the right amount of heat.

Whisk together well and pour over popcorn.

Enjoy.

PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jul 3 2018, 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Shecoda @ Jul 2 2018, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 21 2018, 11:58 PM)
Jalapeno butter? Well I have butter and jalapenos..........................

Just need a strainer I guess.

Here is how to make jalapeno butter.

Melt your butter. If you have nacho rings in the fridge (I always do) take some of the liquid from the jar and add it to your butter. You'll have to experiment to get the right amount of heat.

Whisk together well and pour over popcorn.

Enjoy.

Ah I see. I've never heard of them being called Nacho Rings before. I had to look it up. Those are just jalapenos in a jar to me.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4 
Add Reply
New Poll