Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Add Reply
New Poll

“And those who were seen dancing.........", GC's sig
Skookum
 Posted: Jul 23 2018, 05:03 PM

~*~
Group: Admin

First I've heard the quote in your sig, GC; & I sure do like it. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/cool.gif Ran across a lengthy but interesting article about it. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif
................................................................................
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Unknown

Friedrich Nietzsche? Megan Fox? Anne Louise Germaine de Staël? John Stewart? Norman Flint? Science Fiction fans? Angela Monet? Rumi? George Carlin? Anonymous?

Dear Quote Investigator: The following statement is credited to the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche:

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Yet, I have never seen a precise pointer that stated where in the works of Nietzsche this quotation appeared. I know that Nietzsche suffered a mental breakdown, so he may have been sympathetic to individuals who were labeled insane. I also know that music was very important in his thoughts and philosophy.

The quotation is so popular that the actress and supermodel Megan Fox decided to get the words tattooed across her back and side. Astutely, Fox did not include an attribution for her tattoo. If she wanted to append a credit whose name should be rendered in ink?

Quote Investigator: QI has not yet located substantive evidence that Nietzsche wrote or said the statement given above. In 2003 a message in the large distributed discussion system called Usenet attributed the quote to Nietzsche. The message appeared in the alt.quotations newsgroup. 1 But Nietzsche died in 1900, so 2003 is an extremely late date.

A precursor to this statement appeared in the early Nineteenth century. In 1813 the influential writer Anne Louise Germaine de Staël published the work “De l’Allemagne” in French. The English title was “Germany”, and in 1814 an excerpt was printed in “The Universal Magazine”. Madame de Staël envisioned herself watching a ballroom filled with dancers, and she imagined her reaction if she had been unable to hear the music:

......more HERE
PM
^
grumpychick
 Posted: Jul 23 2018, 09:00 PM

Curiouser and curiouser.
Group: Admin

That was a super interesting article! https://s20.postimg.cc/pr0u9btgd/th-up.gif

I guess it's been around so long everyone's forgotten who said it first. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll