Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Recipes, Slow cooker, Instant Pot, any recipes
Navi
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 01:02 AM

Advanced Flapdoodle
Group: Admin

OK Kam, time to start sharing some of those IP recipes. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif
And Wizard has some simple but yummy slow cooker recipes.
PM
^
Kamalam
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 11:49 AM

Advanced Boop

My latest IP meal.... well... it was pretty awful. I don't know if I missed something in the recipe or if I just don't have sophisticated taste buds! //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

It was a butternut squash/ mushroom risotto. It cooked beautifully but somehow it was just so dang bland. And the longer it sat on the counter, the mushier and dense it became. I got it from a site that I've never been to before but the comments for the meal were so glowing I thought it would be fine.

And I served it as part of the meal for Father's Day! Ugh. Luckily Stan's grilled salmon was great and of course, the cheesecake was fab.

So... moral of the story... try new recipes before serving to others!!
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 03:37 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (Kamalam @ Jun 19 2018, 09:49 AM)
My latest IP meal.... well... it was pretty awful. I don't know if I missed something in the recipe or if I just don't have sophisticated taste buds!  //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

It was a butternut squash/ mushroom risotto. It cooked beautifully but somehow it was just so dang bland. And the longer it sat on the counter, the mushier and dense it became. I got it from a site that I've never been to before but the comments for the meal were so glowing I thought it would be fine.

And I served it as part of the meal for Father's Day! Ugh. Luckily Stan's grilled salmon was great and of course, the cheesecake was fab.

Sounds yummy. Wonder if it's one of those things like souffle that you have to serve and eat immediately?
Beautiful picture of that cheesecake! That looked so delicious!
PM
^
grumpychick
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 11:27 AM

Curiouser and curiouser.

QUOTE (Kamalam @ Jun 19 2018, 07:49 AM)
My latest IP meal.... well... it was pretty awful. I don't know if I missed something in the recipe or if I just don't have sophisticated taste buds!  //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

It's such a bummer when that happens. I've tried a couple of recipes in the past that were accompanied by tons of positive reviews and we were left completely unimpressed by them. I know everyone has different tastes but sometimes I'm just left scratching my head.

Cheesecake is the best thing ever. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif
PM
^
grumpychick
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 12:07 PM

Curiouser and curiouser.

We got tired of heating up the whole house every time we used the oven so we recently bought an air fryer.

We hemmed and hawed over getting one for awhile and now we're really glad we did!
We absolutely love that we don't have to use the big oven now that the temperatures are rising. Our house used to get uncomfortably hot anytime we used the oven during the summer, even with the swamp cooler on its highest setting, and it would take a long time for it to cool back down. Since getting the air fryer, we've only had to turn the swamp cooler up to high when the outside temperature has gotten hot. That has been a wonderful change!

I use it in place of the oven for pretty much everything I used to bake in the oven. There's been a bit of a learning curve in figuring out the best temperatures and cooking times for everything but I've only had one flop, asparagus. I love roasted asparagus and hoped the air fryer would be a good substitute for the oven. It was not. The asparagus took on an odd texture, almost styrofoam-like, it was just not good.

Brian has been using it in place of the deep fryer for everything he used to deep fry. And he's been pretty pleased with it. It doesn't taste exactly like things deep-fried in oil but it tastes good enough that he opts for it over the deep fryer now. (I hope this means I can get rid of the deep fryer in the near future.)

Does anyone else have an air fryer? And some fun new air fryer recipes? I vaguely remember Gamer mentioning having one, do you still use yours Gamer? Did you find anything new and fun to make with it?

PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 02:43 PM

This place sure is fancy, Puddin!
Group: Members

I was looking into air fryers a while back but was put off by negative reviews and videos saying they didn't really work. What brand is yours and what have you cooked in it? Using it as an entire oven replacement, wow.
PMEmail
^
grumpychick
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 04:56 PM

Curiouser and curiouser.

QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 20 2018, 10:43 AM)
I was looking into air fryers a while back but was put off by negative reviews and videos saying they didn't really work. What brand is yours and what have you cooked in it? Using it as an entire oven replacement, wow.

Ours is a Power XL, we picked it up at Sam's Club. It has mixed reviews but it was within our price range. The one we looked at that had the best reviews (one of the Philips models) was nearly $300 so that was a nope.

I have a limited diet these days so mostly I've baked a lot of frozen fish in it, various kinds. Baked potatoes come out great, they still take a chunk of time but not quite as long as in the oven. I've used it for egg rolls and they came out well.

My daughter used it for mozzarella sticks and said they were awesome.

Brian uses it for french fries (frozen and fresh), corn dogs, chicken wings, and basically everything he usually deep fries. He hasn't reached for the deep fryer since we got the air fryer but I don't know if that's just because it's still a new toy or if he's fully converted to it. Only time will tell.

Brian has also used it to reheat fried chicken and chicken fingers from fast food places (that he brought home from Vegas) and he said it reheats them better than anything else. Crisps everything back up.

I tried unbreaded chicken wings and the skin came out crispy and flavorful. I've never been able to attain that crispiness in the regular oven.

It hasn't completely replaced the oven, if I want roasted asparagus I still have to heat up the house. I have not tried roasting any other vegetables in it, the asparagus experience put me off that, so yeah, veggies still go in the oven.

It has limitations (some things just won't fit in it, like a turkey or a pizza) and not everyone would get enough use out of it to justify the cost. It also takes up a lot of counter space, if you have limited kitchen real estate and no room in your cupboards, that might be an issue. I had to relocate my crockpot to a closet to make room for it.

Whether one is for you or not depends on what you normally eat and what benefits you hope to gain from it. I wanted to keep the house cool and eat some things (like chicken wings) that I can't eat because they're typically deep-fried and the oven couldn't even come close to replicating the crispiness I was looking for. I also hoped it would lure Brian away from the deep fryer. He also wanted to keep the house cool but wasn't sure he'd use it much. He's used it a lot. So, we got what we were looking for.
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 07:11 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

Great! I've been wondering about air fryers. Figure we will be getting one sometime this year.

My next ups are an immersion blender and an Instant Pot.
Just broke out the rice cooker today. Cooked up a pot of rice. Then steamed some chicken, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Cooking on the stovetop doesn't heat the kitchen up much at all, but this was a nice change and I used fewer pots.
Next time I think I will try cooking the rice and steaming the veggies at the same time.
Then I think I will try some soup or stew since you can use the rice cooker as a slow cooker too.

In training for the Instant Pot? //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I've also been considering an air popper for popcorn.
PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah, air poppers are nice. I usually do two batches to fill up one of those giant popcorn tubs. This is my tub.

I can eat an entire tub in one sitting. I just inhale it. With butter and salt of course!

HOTLINKING OF IMAGES IS NOT PERMITTED.
PMEmail
^
Kamalam
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 10:12 PM

Advanced Boop

The air fryer sounds intriguing! I'm still learning the Instant Pot so I can't even think about another appliance... but one day!

Glad it's really working for you, GC!

Navi, I suspect you'll be an IP pro... I bet I'll totally be learning from you when you get one.

We had an air popper but the popcorn never seemed to get crispy enough. It didn't have the crunch I was hoping for but maybe there are better models now.
PM
^
Shecoda
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 10:26 PM

Advanced Member

I microwave my potatoes before I put them in the oven.

Microwaving cooks the inside, and it doesn't take that long in the oven for the skin to bake into a thick skin for eating.
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 21 2018, 07:32 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 20 2018, 06:26 PM)
Thanks for the info. Yeah, air poppers are nice. I usually do two batches to fill up one of those giant popcorn tubs. This is my tub.

I can eat an entire tub in one sitting. I just inhale it. With butter and salt of course!
Dude! That is huge! How do you get the popcorn buttered? I have had issues with that previously and am expecting issues when we get the air popper.
PM
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 21 2018, 07:33 PM

Advanced Flapdoodle

QUOTE (Shecoda @ Jun 20 2018, 09:26 PM)
I microwave my potatoes before I put them in the oven.

Microwaving cooks the inside, and it doesn't take that long in the oven for the skin to bake into a thick skin for eating.
Nice tip on baked potatoes Shecoda. 👍
I bet it will work great on sweet potatoes,butternut and acorn squash too. I've been microwaving them for the full time, but not am real pleased with the way the skin and texture turn out.

PM
^
gameaddict4life
 Posted: Jun 22 2018, 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Navi @ Jun 21 2018, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (gameaddict4life @ Jun 20 2018, 06:26 PM)

Dude! That is huge! How do you get the popcorn buttered? I have had issues with that previously and am expecting issues when we get the air popper.

Even buttering is an issue. To fill the tub it takes two sessions of air popping so with the first batch it only fills about half the tub. This allows me to shake the popcorn around in the tub while buttering and salting it. With the second batch I use a smaller bowl and then add that to the tub after it's seasoned. This method works ok but you can also take a funnel attached to a straw and poke that around the tub to get the butter around. Probably the best way though is just to take a paper grocery bag and dump the popcorn in there from the smaller bowl. Shake it while you add the butter and salt and then transfer it to the tub.
PMEmail
^
Navi
 Posted: Jun 22 2018, 01:49 AM

Advanced Flapdoodle

Paper bag is what my Dad always used. I tried, but the butter shriveled the popcorn.
any tips on that?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll